Dewsbury Market

 

Visit Our Markets:


Welcome

History and Heritage

Market Traders

Floor Plan

Video

Events

Click & Collect

Coach Visits

Contact Us

Finding Us

Become a Trader

Opening Hours:
Open Market
Wed & Sat
9am to 4.30pm
Secondhand
Fri 9am to 3.30pm
Car Boot sale
Sun 7:30am to 12.30pm
Market Hall
Mon to Sat
(1/2 day Tues)
8.30am to 4pm.

History and Heritage

• Dewsbury Market hailed as one of the finest in the north was first established in the area in 1318. A Market Charter was granted by King Edward 11 to hold a weekly market at nearby Thornhill. The market then moved to the thriving Dewsbury town centre.

• When a plague swept through the area in 1583 it effectively closed down all trading and the market ceased to operate. In 1740 the market was re- established due to public demand and in 1904 the magnificent Market Hall was built. The traders who previously occupied the area in the town centre Market Place moved towards the fine architecture of the Market Hall. The area was famous as the “Heavy Woollen District” due to the manufacture of quality blanket, coats and military uniform, the street through the Open market area known as Cloth Hall Street reflects this era of history in the area.

• Today the market reflects a combination of the elegance of the Market Hall Grade 11 Listed Building together with a large bright open market part of which is housed beneath a glass roof. Further modernisation which developed in the 1980s and 1990s complement the area resulting in a large thriving market attractive to today’s discerning shopper.

• The market today shows how traditional values of service, quality, and fair prices are the recipe for the successful, busy market we have today. Dewsbury Market not only provides an invaluable service to the local shopping public but is also a well known destination for coach parties.






 

 

Call Us: 01484 225930

Maintained by Virtual Huddersfield Ltd.